Project Title: Fishermen Development Project
The Fishermen Development Project (FDP) was initiated in 26 villages of Balipara and Pottashi unions under Zianagar Upazila (the then Pirojpur Sadar Upazila) of Pirojpur district in 1984 with the funding support of South Asia Partnership (SAP)-Bangladesh with the objectives of development of environment and enhancing the standard of living of the landless, disadvantaged and marginal fishermen community.
Duration: Year 1984 to 1987.
Area coverage: Zianagar upazila of Pirojpur district.
Source of Funding: South Asia Partnership, Bangladesh
The Project Goal: To improve the socio-economic condition of the fishermen community.
Project Objective: Development of environment and enhancing the standard of living of the landless, disadvantaged and marginal fishermen community.
Project Participants: Fishermen community.
1. Organized fishermen groups;
2. Provide credit support to the group members;
3. Provide training to the group members on group formation, leadership, group management, and keeping the resolution books and accounts;
4. Provide awareness orientation and training on primary health care, personal hygiene and cleanliness.
5. Extend financial support for establishing two non-formal education centers for basic education of the children of the poor and disadvantaged fishermen families.